Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The biggest decision of all

Well, now that I have made this blog public, or at least to the people I know, I thought I would ask the most important question I can. At least as it relates to my travel plans here. I am torn on what book to bring. The flight from Vancouver to Shanghai is roughly 15 hours. Being a fast reader, I could finish several normal sized books during that time. So I thought it would be smart to bring a big book, a classic, maybe something I wouldn't normally read sitting by the pool because of it's length. I have come down to three choices, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. And its an important decision since I probably wont be able to watch a lot of TV as I am trying to sleep since its probably all going to be in Chinese except for CNN. And I have a lot of time to spend in airports and on planes. (in total...its probably about 70 hours I will be spending in total on planes and in airports) Any ideas what to pick?

1) Atlas Shrugged-Ayn Rand
(+)I like her style of writing, its small in its size but extremely long
(-) Opinion on this book seems to be divided. Apparently it can get a little too far into her
philosophy. She did this in "The Fountainhead" and I didn't like those sections of that book

2) Harlot's Host-Norma Mailer
(+) I have read a few of his books, and love them all. Interesting topic (The CIA)
(-) Its only 1100 pages....And the print is not too small, I might be able to finish most of this
on the flight to Shanghai. The size of the book is the biggest of the three options
3) War and Peace-Leo Tolstoy
(+) Its very long. And its a classic, suppose to be one of the best books of all time. And the size
is perfect for the one backpack i am bringing on this trip
(-) It has a large cast of characters and apparently that can get confusing sometimes. I have
not read anything by Tolstoy yet. I don't know if I like his style. If i get to China and don't
like it, then I am in trouble as far as reading material goes.

No comments: