Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monday July 28th-New meaning of hot and muggy

Ok, So for the second time I tried to publish a post and the computer decided that was a bad idea and erased it. This time it happened when I tried to upload a photo. So needless to say, I will not be doing that again. I have lots of photos and will take even more. And I will try to get some on here when I return to the states. But for now, you will just have to take my word for it. Literally.
Landing in Shanghai and stepping off that plane, I finally knew what hell felt like, temperature wise. It is hot and humid here beyond description. It rains, and its really windy, and you would think that would help, but it really doesnt. The lens on my cameras continually fog up.
The other thought that came to mind when I landed was how big and empty the airport is. As far as i could tell, my flight was only one of two international flights landing at that time. The terminal was empty beyond belief. I am going there again on friday for a domestic flight to Chongqing. (which worries me already, because Chongqing is known as one of the three furnaces of China it is so hot. Shanghai is not one of those three. oh man) It will be interesting to see if the domestic terminal is as empty.
I took the maglev into Shanghai. It got up to 431 kilometers. I am not sure how fast that is in Miles, but i know its really really really fast. faster then any train I have ever been on
After figuring out how to by a subway ticket, I rode from the outskirts of the city where the Maglev gets off into Nanjing road, the commercial center of Shanghai. Here I learend that everyone seems to know the english words for watch,t-shirt, and luggage. I am basing that on how many times those words were yelled at me with a question mark afterward. Lots of fakes everywhere. After navigating this madness, I found the Bund, which is another kind of madness. From here I got my first view of the Shanghai World Financial Center, the skyscraper that looks like a bottle opener. But at the moment, if you go by ceiling height, it is the largest building in the world. Pudong, the new city that is the business center of China, looks like something out of Blade Runner, especially when compared to the other side of the river (the Bund) which is filled with colonial architecture.
I found my hotel by following the bund until it reaches the creek. Once in my hotel room i literally pased out. I put my head down on the hardest bed in the world (seriously, its like sleeping on wood) and next thing I knew it was 8pm at night. I took off the contacts and went right to sleep, ready to explore Shanghai on Tuesday!

No comments: