Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Well I am officially all packed at this point. I started listening to a few Mandarin Chinese lessons I downloaded for my 15 hour flight over the pacific ocean. Of course, it is all kind of a pointless venture, since in Shanghai they speak a different dialect, as well as in Chongqing. I am hoping that I learn enough to be able to say "Don't feed me fish, it will make me sick in your restaurant." That is something that would work out well for everyone.
Today, I happened to be able to re watch the episode of "Globe Trekker" that made China and the Three Gorges my destination for this year's adventure. Turns out by chance, the host of the show stays in the same hotel I am staying in for the first few nights in Shanghai. Through this show, I learned that Chongqing, where I will spend two days, has a community dance party every night in the main square. The fountains of the square play music, and the locals do a big line dance to it every night. It was kind of a cross between country/ball room. Hmm....I wonder if lack of rhythm is the same in China as it is here....

No comments: