Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August 3rd-Tourist Hell

I really dont have much to write for this day. The cruise gets under way. The first day involved traveling to Fengdu and going to the Ghost City, which at one point was supposedly where spirits went to be judged before going on to the next life. Of course, most of those buildings were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. All the buildings we saw where built in the last 20 years. And the three temples on top of the mountain (700 steps to the top) had giant gift shops in them. There are two things I am sure the Chinese do well. They create legends and stories for everything in their country in order to make a tradition that they destroyed in the past. And they use every chance they can to sell you stuff. I got seriously harassed in an attempt to get me to buy a panda t-shirt my last night in Shanghai at the Astor House. In the temples they sold total junk.
I hated Fengdu. I will come right out and say it. I didnt like the ghost city. I wanted to go across the river to the New Fengdu. The old Fengdu was destroyed by the first round of flooding from the Gorges Dam project and all 80,000 residents were moved across the river into a planned city.
This would actually lead to an interesting discussion with a cute british girl later this night at the bar. (seriously, even without the accent, I think I need to find a girl willing to humor me and use the xpression "I fancy" as in "I fancy a cup of tea"-hottest thing ever. Of course, the girl should also find that whole thing kind of funny) Anyway, this girl has always gone on guided tours when she goes on holiday. She couldnt understand why I wouldnt do it or why I never have. I guess there is a whole conversation to have about this, but i dont get it. It is so much more fun to strike out on your own then to have everything planned out for you. If I came to China with a tour, I would not have had tripe or the street food in Shanghai.

No comments: