Friday, August 8, 2008

August 6th-Best Hotel Ever


Well I am writing this blog from back in Richmond. After 30 hours in a few planes and a few airports, I made it safely. Some guy on my flight from Charlotte to Richmond this morning was complaining about having to get up at 5am, when I casually mentioned to him that I have been traveling for 24 hours already. He didnt have much to say after that.
Also, in good timing/great irony it was in Seattle that the typical traveler's ailment (especially those that are trying new foods) It will keep me tied up for a few days, but thats ok. The memory of Buffalo tripe makes up for it. (Might be one of the best travel experiences I have had so far-Its right up there with a cabbie in Prague proclaiming "Americans!" and then putting Frank Zappa on the radio, blaring it as we drove through the castle district)
My last night in Shanghai I stayed in the highest hotel in the world, The Grand Hyatt Shanghai. My room was on the 77th, so near or over 1,000 feet in the air. It was easily the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The food was a bit pricey, and a bit too normal (although my stomach was thankful for that) I enjoyed getting out of the sun and sending some time in the highest pool in the world, especially since I think i am suffering from a little heat stroke/dehydration at this point.
The hotel I stayed in is in the building on the left of the pic, the Jin Mao tower. THe building on the right is not done yet. It is the Shanghai World Financial Center. When finished, it will be the world's tallest skyscraper if you go by roof height. (although the Burj Dubai is already the tallest, but will be under construction for another year or so)
Here's the autrium of the building and yes, I have no clue how to spell Atirum...Autruim ok enough of that.




Next pic is the highest pool in the world, where I spent a good hour going back and forth between it and the men's locker room jacuzzi. Very relaxing indeed.


No comments: