Thursday, August 14, 2008

In my thoughts...

I literally can not get hot pots out of my mind. I am obsessed with them. I am searching all over the internet for the right equipment and the right spices to make my own hot pot here at home. My taste buds were changed on this trip, no doubt about it. I can honestly say that when I watch those favorite shows of mine about travel and weird foods, I feel like I could easily at least try them. Not saying I would enjoy them, but I would be open to putting them in my mouth and chew. And for those who know about it, yes, my quest for blood sausage is not over or diminished. I am tempted to go to DC this weekend to the restaurant there that I know for a fact makes them. Hmmm.....tempting indeed. But enough of that. I am still sorting through all the photos, getting rid of the bad ones, figuring out what ones will look great blown up on my wall, and which ones I should turn into National Geographic for their travel photo contest. But until I can post all of them on here (I hope to do that this weekend) I will keep my promise to the maybe three people still reading this, and post a few pics on here a day.

This is an ok pic artistically. But come on, you know I am saving the best artsy ones for the end! But this pic illustrates two great things about Chonqing. One, the real future of China is in this picture: Construction of towers. I can not even describe the amount of construction in Shanghai but especially in Chongqing. Watch out, these two cities will be amongest the biggest in the world both population wise and in area, very soon. Unofficially, Chongqing already is with about 40 million people. The second thing this shows is the haze. Some of it is pollution perhaps, but the city is famous for haze. It's what protected it from the Japanese bombers during World War II.


Again, the future of China. In general the future is construction. There is a joke, at least one I have read, that the official bird of Dubai should be the crane, as in construction crane, but I vote for China. About 10 years ago, The Yangzi apparently only had five bridges on its whole length. The Mississippi River, the fourth longest in the world, had 26. (Remember, the Yangzi is the 3rd longest) But as part of the building of the dam, they are also building a whole lot of bridges. This is only one. I would say we passed under about 15 under construction, with the same basic design on all of them. As my random Dutch friend who I met on the boat said, "you don't mess with the winning team." Meaning that in a communist country, they build bridges wherever they want and with the same design and if anyone complains, the local government official will just say "Never heard of them" when the family members ask why they have been missing for a month.


A statue in Fengdu, the so called ghost city. Of course, all the original statue's and temples were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. Everything they took the tourist too was built in the last 15 years or so. I wasnt a fan of Fengdu, but it did allow me to take some more "faces of statues" pictures. I have a nice little series going when you add in all the statues in Richmond, and of course the infamous "Matt and KC posing next to random pieces of street art" pictures. Ah, good times indeed

No comments: